Welcome to tvBETA

Hello, if you happen to be one of the founders of FTABeta, please use your old login details; if you're visiting us for the first time, please register! and contribute!

Register Now!

One power supply for all those 12v 5v boxes

Discussion in 'Hardware Support' started by Polarbear, May 1, 2015.

1. Polarbear

Polarbear New Member

I see a project online that converts an atx power supply (out of an old computer) to a bench power supply. I am thinking of adapting that project to put all the 12v and 5v outputs I need for phone, router, hub, sat rec, android, portable hard drives, etc.. The only thing I am not sure of is the amps. The atx ps runs 9 amp on 12v side and 20 amps on the 5v side and that looks high for most of the 12v devices I want to plug in. Any ideas? The living room is turning into a wire jungle. I don't know where I will plug in another power bar.

Polar

2. Impala67

Impala67 General Lee

Would not do it.

3. BIO

BIO Moderator

I've made a few from server power supplies, and you'd be better just buying a switching power
    supply for each voltage IMHO. The power delivered from the power supplies is great, but it doesn't
    deliver the output advertised, and if you draw more than it's offering everything plugged in is going
    to have problems. A switching power supply from one of those overseas sellers on ebay don't
    run much- and there will be less draw on your power bill to boot.

I've had a 7 amp 12 volt running my cordless phone, routers x3, and a/v switch right now without
    any issue at all for almost 2 years. Can't remember exactly what it cost but was under 20 bucks.

4. Polarbear

Polarbear New Member

Thanks Bio, Rockycat.

The cleaning lady has threatened me with physical harm if I plug in one more power bar in the living room. I think I will give this project a try. The atx power supply is very well protected but I might upsize the wire a bit on the dc output side. Thanks again.

Polar

5. BIO

BIO Moderator

Do what you wish, but try it out on items that are cheap to replace first IMHO.
    My little switching power supply is the berries, with a multiple output cord from a cctv camera system.
    Works better, is cheap, and no metal cage sitting there with a fan making noise all the time.

Also, not sure how much reading you have done, but make sure you get the 12v positive and not negative.
    A resistor (think that's right) sometimes is needed to keep voltage steady.
    And don't solder the switch leads always on- put some kind of switch or disconnect there.

6. Polarbear

Polarbear New Member

Hi BIO,

I think all that is good advice ... Thankyou. One of the challenges in this is figuring out positive or negative center on the barrel jacks. Every time I read more about what is positive or negative on these jacks I get more confused. Old age setting in.

Polar

7. Orziz Aziz

Orziz Aziz Member

If you do this, it would be a good idea to Look at the amp draw on the devices you wish to power then add a fuse block for protection.

8. Deadwood

Deadwood Member

When it comes to chargers for portable devices like Ipads, Ipods, cellphones that use 5 volt chargers, you may want to consider the differences with how these devices charge and the quick charge aspects as they have an affect on battery life. After reading and investigating chargers, I came to the conclusion its best to go with a Smart charger with quick charge IQ. The one that works very well and I would recommend is the Tronsmart Quick charge 2.0 which has 5 USB charging ports with high wattage output on each port. Amazon has them as well as others.